St Mary’s Church Graveyard Register and Index

Extract from Pilton Graveyard Plan

The St Mary’s Church Burial Registers, Graveyard Plan and Index were first compiled by Francesca Ross with assistance from John Norman in 2008. They are based on the inscriptions on the gravestones and the Burial Registers. This image is an extract from the Graveyard Plan which is as complete as they could make it.  However, there are records of burials with no corresponding memorial and references on memorials which have no counterpart in the burial registers.  Because of the deterioration of some of the gravestones, it is probable that some names and dates may have been incorrectly transcribed.

The Registers, Plan and Index are held in the Church and can be seen by applying to the Church Office on 01271 345649 to make an appointment.

Pilton (& Barnstaple) in 1740

Pilton and Barnstaple in a 1740 Painting

This oil painting of Pilton and Barnstaple from about 1740 hangs in the North Devon Museum. It clearly shows the community of Pilton and the Church of St Mary, to the left of the town of Barnstaple. Artistic licence has no doubt been used and it is difficult to know exactly how it would have looked.

The little bridge over the River Yeo is visible and above it on the hill is the large building probably of Raleigh Court where the North Devon Hospital now stands. In the fields below the village are drying racks which can also be seen on the hills above. These were for drying sheepskins and also for the woollen cloth which was woven in the area.

Thanks to the North Devon Athenaeum for their permission in allowing us to use this picture, one of the earliest images of Pilton that we have found.